There are three levels of ambition for our dreams, which interestingly reveal the main obstacles we face and the mindset we need to adapt in order to pursue and to achieve our goals.
Ask yourself, “what am I trying to achieve?”
- Number one: “You are trying to achieve nothing”. In this case, please change that. Define your ambition, define a purpose for your life, define your goal and move forward towards it.
- Number two: “You are trying to achieve something that has been done before” In this case, there’s no reason for you to doubt yourself. Because if it has been done before, you can do it. You can learn from those who have done it. Avoid naysayers who are holding you back.
- Number three: “You are trying to achieve something that has never been done before”. What is required here is a real and true and deep-seated belief that it is possible. Surround yourself with positive people. Fuel your confidence from looking back and reminding yourself that things always have been deemed impossible until they were done, with the right level of commitment.
VIDEO TRANSCRIPT AND QUOTES:
Hi everybody, it’s Tasso.
When was the last time you asked yourself this: “What am I trying to achieve here?”
Why am I bringing this up?
You see, I thought about this a lot, and I believe that what people try to achieve can fall in one of three buckets or categories. Let’s say, three levels of ambition, which interestingly reveal the main obstacles we face and the mindset we need to adapt in order to pursue and to achieve our goals.
Without further ado, I’m going to jump right into those three. I’m super curious to see what you think about them.
Number one: You try to achieve…nothing!
If you fall into this category, you are somebody who is settled. You are somebody who is happy where he or she is, and doesn’t like change much.
If you fall into this category, you have no reason or no right even to complain because you don’t want anything so you don’t get anything.
Settling and feeling comfortable is not a bad thing, if you decide to do so, however the problem that you will face along the way is, that at some point in the time of your life, you will get a feeling that you are wasting your time.
And it’s true, you ARE wasting your time.
You’re wasting your skills, you’re wasting your competencies and capabilities, you’re wasting your potential.
If you choose to settle, other people will move ahead and they will surpass you. This will make you feel that you stay behind.
You see, if you don’t do the work, you will not get promoted. If you don’t do the work, your marriage and your relationship in general will suffer.
You need to define something that you move towards. What is it that you try to achieve?
Number two: You are trying to achieve what somebody already has done before.
Here, I think of things like, for instance, you would like to build your own business or you want to run a marathon, or you want to climb the Mt. Everest. Things that people have done before you.
The only thing that should drive you here, the only thought that should be able to eliminate your fears is, “Others have done it, why can’t I?”
Because others have shown you that it’s possible, because others have done before you, there’s no reason for you to believe that you can’t do it.
The only thing that you need to do is to be resilient. To push forward. To overcome failure. To learn from failure. To be consistently moving forward.
Now, the obstacle in this category is other people who tell you that you can’t do it. THEY know it’s possible because they’ve seen others do it. YOU know it’s possible but people will tell you that you can’t do it. Why would they do that? Because they think that they can’t do it and they will extrapolate that you won’t.
It’s only an opinion. It has nothing to do with reality.
What you have to do is to always look at those people who’ve done it. You take those mentors and coaches, the pioneers, and the role models and let them inspire you. You manage your own self-limiting beliefs and self-doubts and you ignore or manage those people who tell you that you can’t do it.
Number three: You are trying to achieve something that no one has done before.
This is the ultimate level. Here, I think of things like the first time that somebody stepped on the moon or the first time somebody climbed on Mt. Everest. Or the first time somebody broke the four-minute mile. Something that just based on physics and the nature of the human body, people didn’t think was possible. Or even the projects of Elon Musk, SpaceX and Tesla.
The main obstacle here is that people will tell you it can’t be done. People will tell you it’s not possible. So, it requires an immense confidence in whatever you’re about to achieve that IT IS possible.
What could give you that confidence?
Let me put this in context, because I don’t believe that everybody can fall into this category. Not everybody has that character, strength to move forward with something that has not been done before and actually believe that it is possible.
But what could fuel a person like that?
Something that can help is looking back in history and remind yourself that so many things seemed impossible until they were done.
In fact, EVERYTHING seemed impossible until it was done. Impossible is truly nothing. You set your own limits and you can overcome those limits.
If you are a person who falls into this third category, then if somebody tells you that something is not possible or that it can’t be done, you don’t take this for granted. You challenge that. You don’t just believe that.
If you believe that something is possible, you are much more likely to be able to do it.
These were the three things:
- Number one: if you currently fall into the category of “trying to achieve nothing”, please change that. Define your ambition, define a purpose for your life, define your goal and move forward towards it.
- Number two: if you are trying to do something that has been done before, let me encourage you by saying, that there’s no reason for you to doubt yourself. Because if it has been done before, you can do it. You can learn from those who have done it.
- Number three: if you are about to do something that has never been done before, what is required there is a real and true and deep-seated belief that it is possible. Because you have to overcome all the naysayers who say that it cannot be done. You can fuel your confidence from looking back and reminding yourself that things always have been deemed impossible but always have been done with the right level of commitment.
Now, I hope you liked that. I hope it inspired you. I hope it gave you another way of looking at things.
If you liked it, as always I encourage you to please subscribe for more. If you liked it a lot, please share it with friends.
Until the next blog post, all the best.